SV: [Zope] Are products the right approach?

Carsten Gehling carsten at sarum.dk
Tue Sep 23 10:34:05 EDT 2003

Okay - the Undo function is no longer required by the customer - just a
history list about what has been altered in the records. That, I can easily
wite by myself.

> > 2) Should I make it all as classes (including the Log)?
>
> My only suggestion would be to use either RDBMS or ZODB exclusively.
> Suppose it comes time to restore from backups.  How will you know if your
> ZODB backups are in sync with your SQL backups?  It could be tricky.

I think I'll go for the "all RDBMS" and then use pluggable brains. Found out
about this thanks to Alexis Roda.

> One final remark on classes:  using the ZODB gives you a lot more
> flexibility in modeling physical objects (Equipment, Spare Parts). If I
> were to use Zope classes, I would try to create a class that is far more
> flexible, perhaps an "Inventory" class that can behave as any type of
> inventory.  I might even create an "Inventory Type" class that contains
> information about the various inventory types (maybe the TV
> people can even
> add their own inventory types with some well-designed web
> methods).

Very well thought of. I'm going to adopt this idea. Thanks!

- Carsten