[Zope] MySQLDA, Mac OSX connection problem

Duncan McGreggor cms at adytumsolutions.com
Tue Sep 23 11:30:12 EDT 2003

Avni Khatri wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to zope / plone. I was wondering if someone
> could help me out.
>
> - I installed plone on mac osx (using the binary)
>   and everything works great.
> - I then wanted to connect to an RDBMS. So I
>   installed mysql on the same box
>   (osx) and that works great. I gave my db root
>   user a password and set up the
>
>   permissions.
> - I then installed mysql-python package and that
>   seemed to go well.
> - I next installed ZMySQLDA by putting it in the
>   the zope python dir and restarted zope
> - The product shows up. Ican add a "Z MySQL
>   Database Connection" object type
>   no problem. It says the connection is open.
> - However when I try the "Test" tab, the resulting
>   page always has the following error:
>
>     _mysql_exceptions.InternalError
>     Sorry, a site error occurred.
>     Traceback (innermost last):
>     Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 150, in
>     publish_module
>     Module Products.Localizer, line 58, in
>     new_publish
>     Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 106, in
>     publish
>     Module Zope.App.startup, line 222, in abort
>     Module ZODB.Transaction, line 135, in abort
>     Module Shared.DC.ZRDB.TM, line 60, in abort
>     Module Products.ZMySQLDA.db, line 328, in
>     _abort
>     InternalError: (-1, 'connection is closed')
>
> - My connection string is db at ip username password
>   which all the docs say is correct? Am I missing
>   something?
>
> I am running Plone 1.0.5, Zope 2.6.2b5, Mac OS
> 10.2.6, MySQL 4.0.15
>
> Does anyone have any ideas / suggestions? I've
> perused the mailing  lists and web sites and
> haven't been able to find a  solution
> that works. I'd  appreciate any help.
>

> Thanks much,
> Avni

I have had similar problems in the past... what version of the ZMySQLDA
and MySQL for python are you using? If you tried it with 0.9.2+, you can
take my advice below; here's what I did that made it work:

1) Go to sourceforge and get the two versions that work together
(discovered by trial and error... they had close release dates):

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=22307&release_id=102893
MySQL-python-0.9.1.tar.gz
ZMySQLDA-2.0.8.tar.gz

2) Uninstall the ZMySQLDA (delete the dir in the Products dir)
3) Either remove the mysql python libs or trust to an over-write... YMMV
4) tar xvfz the downloaded files, edit as necessary (I think that I have
to edit my setup.py file for the mysql python libs), and place the DA in
the Products dir.

When I did it this way, everything came up great for me.

Honestly, though, I have found working with Zope's ZODB most rewarding
and for stuff that requires a RDBMS, I have found Postgres to work best
for me.

Hope that helps,

duncan