[Zope] Upgrade from 2.6.1 to 2.6.2

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Thu Sep 25 00:20:14 EDT 2003

> Some days ago i posted to the mailing list a request of help about
> upgrade or dont upgrade my zope server!
> First of all, thanks to the people that gave me an input.
>
> Your suggestion was to go for upgrade, so i performed this tasks:
> 1) zope installation;
> 2) copy /Zope-2.6.1-linux2-x86/var/Data.* in /Zope-2.6.2-linux2-x86/var/
> 3) copy /Zope-2.6.1-linux2-x86/lib/python/Products in
> /Zope-2.6.2-linux2-x86/lib/python/Products
>
> Well, i started Zope and all went ok.
>
> Is this the correct way to migrate from 2.6.1 to 2.6.2? In particular,
> is zodb shipped with 2.6.1 100% compatible with zodb in 2.6.2?

Pretty much. Your product copying isn't quite optimal. Some things in
zope/lib/python/Products ship with Zope, and may have been upgraded.
Your procedure may have lost those upgrades. With the default setup, you
should probably copy only those products which you have added over (or
refuse to over-write anything, I suppose.)

The best way is to make an INSTANCE_HOME setup, and then you needn't
copy anything at all. All your modified stuff stay put.

The ZODB format is v. stable, and you may be able to run a Zope 1.9.2
ZODB with a modern Zope.

FYI, the products that ship with Zope are

ExternalMethod
MIMETools
MailHost
OFSP
PageTemplates
PluginIndexes
PythonScripts
Sessions
SiteAccess
SiteErrorLog
StandardCacheManagers
TemporaryFolder
Transience
ZCTextIndex
ZCatalog
ZGadflyDA
ZSQLMethods
ZopeTutorial
__init__.py
__init__.pyc

       --jcc

--
"My point and period will be throughly wrought,
Or well or ill, as this day's battle's fought."