[Zope] End user help system product

Dennis Allison allison at sumeru.stanford.EDU
Thu Sep 25 16:37:56 EDT 2003

I've used the following approach with success on a number of sites.

The help-button is one each page.  It has a bit of Javascript to capture
the last contextual page loaded (I use frames, and organize pages so that
one frame is the normal content frame).  This data is then passed (via
acquisition) to a method located at the root of the site called
"help_monitor".  There are two casesi: exceptions and the general case.
The source URL is inspected and for some exceptional cases special actions
are taken.  Otherwise, the path between the root and the help-button is
traversed looking for help_html.  The last help_html found is then used as
the help response. This works neatly if the site is organize functionally.
The passed in URL can be munged to create a backlink to reload the
original page or a new window can be created and the backlink simply
remove the window.  HTH -dra