[Zope] I am so lost.

Bob Gailer bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
Thu Sep 25 21:58:29 EDT 2003

At 05:53 PM 9/25/2003, Lee J. McAllister wrote:

>How stranded are we talking?
>
>Still trying to get Zope up and running

That's never been a problem.

>  or are you stuck trying to build a new Product?

Trying to install a downloaded product.

>I know I consider the Zope documentation to be excellent in points but it
>lacks connectivity.  Individual points and tasks are generally explained
>extremely well but there's very little coverage on how to get from point A
>to point B or how those points interact.  I've found that intelligent
>googling of the list archives has been at least as helpful, if not more so
>for me than the documentation overall.

Even trying to grok some simple concepts. e.g. one can specify parameters
on a Script (Python) object, but nothing I can find explains how these
parameters get values. In looking thru the Shopping Cart Example I found a
form specifying in part

<form action="addItems">
<input type="text" name="orders.quantity:records" ...

where addItems is a script in the same container, and addItems specifies
orders, REQUEST=None as parameters. What's missing for me is the
relationship between the form and the parameter list.

In another example I experimented with a Page Template calculateForm:
   <form action="calculateSum">
     <input type="text" name="a" tal:attributes="value request/a"><br>
     <input type="text" name="b" tal:attributes="value request/b"><br>
     <input type="text" tal:attributes="value result"><br>
     <input type=submit value="Submit" name="Next10">
   </form>
where calculateSum is script:

## parameters a,b
sum=int(a)+int(b)
return container.calculateForm(result=sum)

After clicking Submit the form reappears, with the values for a and b
filled in. What is the magic that associates the values I entered for a and
b with the request to display the form again?

Bob Gailer
bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
303 442 2625