[Zope] Doing authentification on my own

Rob Boyd boydrobh at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 29 10:36:39 EDT 2003

Why not use one of the existing user folder products
and write an authenctication source for it?  I use
exUserFolder for one of my Zope sites to authenticate
users against an existing user management app, where
users are in a Postgresql DB, and login is done with a
Perl script.  I have my own queries against the user's
group memberships to determine their roles (The DB
doesn't have a roles table).  When unauthenticated
users hit the site, they are redirected to the user
mgmt site's login page, and after login they are
redirected to the Zope site.  If they have a valid
session already with the user mgmt site and hit the
Zope site, they are considered logged in and get
authenticated/authorized.  It was considerably easier
to create my own authentication source and plug it
into exUserFolder than writing the entire mechanism
from scratch.

-Rob Boyd