[Zope] Re: Tracking upload of files to Zope

Gitte Wange gitte at mmmanager.org
Tue Sep 30 06:59:16 EDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:03:46 +0200, Dieter Maurer wrote:

> Gitte Wange wrote at 2003-9-29 13:11 +0200:
>  > ..
>  > I have one huge problem with Zope: It's impossible to track how far an
>  > upload of a file to Zope is :-((
>  >
>  > It seems like Zope "blocks" untill a file is uploaded to Zope making it
>  > impossible to tell how many bytes has been transfered or similar.
>
> I have uploaded a 80 MB file into Zope and I can assure you
> that Zope did not block (although the server was heavily loaded
> and had more than 60 % IO-wait).
>
> In the first stage, ZServer will read your HTTP request (including
> the file to upload) and store the file content in a temporary file.
> After the complete request is read, ZServer hands the request to Zope
> with stores the file in ZODB. Neither of these steps block.
>
> Only the transaction commit blocks the storage (which may be ZEO Server)
> for the time of the transaction.

Okay - by "block" I didn't mean that Zope stops to receive connections or
anything.
I meant that the occuring request (the ones that post's a file to Zope) is
"blocked" so you cannot do anything in that thread while the file is
uploaded.
Your explation on ZServer helped me here Dieter - thanks ;-)

So what I want, is to (while the upload is progressing) read the size of
the temporary file or at least see how many bytes is transfered.
Looks like some patching in ZServer ?

Or is it impossible to do some hacking here ?

--
Gitte Wange
Technical Manager

Email: gitte at mmmanager.org
Web: http://www.mmmanager.org
Tlf: +45 36 46 20 02

Our goal is to be the "Linux of Content Management".
This means Open Source, it means community...

    -- Paul Everitt: Zope-CMF Mailing List