[Zope] Help: My beloved Zope crashes

Jaroslav Lukesh lukesh at seznam.cz
Tue Sep 30 11:12:00 EDT 2003

> Odesílatel: Hanno Schlichting <schlichting at bakb.net>
> I've a serious problem and don't know where to look further for the
> error. Hope anyone can help. (Sorry for the crosspost.)
>
> My configuration:
>
> Hardware: 2x 750MHz, 1GB RAM
> Software: Windows 2000 SP4, Zope 2.6.2, CMF 1.3.2, Plone 1.0.5 and a
> variety of other products such as CMFForum, CMFCollector,
> CMFVisualEditor, Epoz, Photo and Photoalbum, TextindexNG,
LocalFileSystem.

> In detail: In the ZMI I try to change the content of a document. I click
> change and my browser gets no response. I can watch my zope instance
> collecting all free memory (~800MB) then suddenly releasing everything
> and then going into a cycle grabbing up to 40 MB going down to 0 and
> restarting this, the whole time with a processor load of 100 percent.

Same things does ocassionally (few weeks nothing, then every 2-3 days etc)
for me with Zope 2.5.1, W2k TSE. I was moved to Linux Mandrake 9.1, runs
without restarting for 1/2 year!

> It looks like some kind of infinite loop, but I have no idea what could
> cause this. I ran debug mode from the console but it tells me nothing. I
> ran fsrecover and fspack on the database file (about 400MB) but
> everything is fine.

Our NT admin says me after deep researching that this error is probably in
NT and not in Zope but does not know exactly which DLL or so it is. Yes, I
was have installed Plone too, but not used. Memory consumes at first look
Zope, but in detailed look thins memory consume some component from NT.

In finally, my Zope runs now 2-10 times (100 for images) faster than on NT
on slower HW and I cannot overload it (I was overload local mirroring
machine and not Zope).

Try Linux, it is easy to do with Mandrake.

Regards JL.