[Zope] Re: 3rd Party Search Engines

Seb Bacon seb at jamkit.com
Tue Sep 30 14:51:49 EDT 2003

Hi Bert :-)

Do you want to query 3rd party repositories, or use 3rd party tools to
index content inside Zope?

In the former case, I have successfully wrapped a search against a
Sharepoint server by overriding searchResults to query more than one
source.  The tricky point is that there will not be a 1-1 mapping
between indexes in both catalogs. Something like this is very brittle,
e.g. sensitive to unexpected API changes in the 3rd party server.  With
sharepoint I was able to query it using their dav/sql interface.

In the latter case, depending on the engine you could query Zope through
familiar interfaces for its content - for example, can't you just point
Autonomy at a website and ask it to spider it?  Once again you will have
some problems with mapping between indexes.

In either case, I doubt it would be possible to build a general-purpose
"integration" framework (and I'm not aware of one which exists); you'd
have to write a new one for each 3rd party engine.

Regards,

seb