[Zope] Authentication problem with Zope 2.6.1

Nicholas Dunham nicholas at acetylene.net
Thu Apr 1 18:11:53 EST 2004

Dieter Maurer said:
> What did you do to achieve your aim?
>
> I just tried with a folder:
>
>   I removed the "acquired" settings for "Access contents information"
>   and "View" and granted these permissions to "Manager" (only).
>
>   I then visited the folder as "Manager" -- without any problems.

Thank you for the response. I did almost exactly the same thing as you
did--except substitute "Authenticated" for "Manager". This should have
affected only the Anonymous role, but instead rendered the entire tree from
that point down inaccessible to all users, including Managers, Owners, and
the Admin account.

Also, a recent experiment yielded interesting, and troubling, results:
rather than removing privileges from the Anonymous role, I tried adding
some. That produced the same result--after the change, that folder and all
objects below it were inaccessible no matter what username and password I
tried.

At this point I'm thinking there's something corrupted somewhere, and I'm
considering doing an export of everything that's absolutely necessary for
the site, then importing that into a fresh install of Zope. Of course, I
don't *know* that the export won't include whatever's causing the problem,
thus carrying over to the new install, but it's all I've come up with at
this point. Does anyone have a better idea?