[Zope] Hanging processes

James Cammarata jimi at sngx.net
Thu Apr 8 08:41:36 EDT 2004

Hey all.  We use Zope at my company for an application server, and one of
the main applications is web reporting on our business data.

We are occasionally running into problems where a person will run a large
report and hit the cancel button on the web browser due to
impatience.  This typically creates a process that starts using 100% CPU
and will not go away if Zope is restarted.  We have to grep for any python
processes and kill them manually before starting Zope back up.  Knowing
users, they will sometimes do this a couple of times, totally bogging down
the server and forcing a Zope restart.

Now, my questions are, How hard could it be for Zope to
a) kill any processes it is responsible for spawning?
b) kill a process once it detects that its socket it was using for
communication is dead?
c) kill a process that runs for too long? (i thought it was supposed to do
this already)

I think a Control Panel application to show any Zope child processes with
who started them, their running time/memory etc., and the option to
terminate them would be nice.  Of course that doesn't really help if Zope
is un-responsive, but it could help a lot of times.

James Cammarata
jimi at sngx.net
www.sngx.net
home: 314-966-5976