[Zope] Re: Windows or Linux?

Josef Albert Meile jmeile at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 8 08:45:08 EDT 2004

--- In zope at yahoogroups.com, "Bill Zielinski" <bzielinski at c...> wrote:
>Without trying to start any flamewar, I want to know which is the best
>solution for installing and running Zope.  This server is behind a firewall
>and used for development only, so it will only be seen internally.  I am
>trying to simplify the web update process for our departments, and I hope
>Zope is the answer.  I know both operating systems rather well.  It's
>between Redhat 9.2, Mandrake, and Windows 2000.  Are there limitations as
>each?  I thank you for your input.

I would use linux because its security model is better than the one of
windows.
Recently a windows machine from where I'm working for was hacked and some
how this guy got a list of clear passwords. Unfortunatelly, I don't know how
it
was done because I'm not authorized to access this information. At least on
linux
the passwords are encrypted and it can't be decrypted, so, you have to try
lots of times before you get a valid one.

Another thing, which has already mentioned, things like ldap and ssl (if you
want
a secure ssl zope server), are difficult to install on windows. On linux you
have a
free C++ compiler, while on windows you have to pay for it. Perhaps you can
use
unix shell emulators, but performance is not the same as said on this
mailing list.

Regards,
Josef