[Zope] Refresh causes spinning Zope (bug with my Product?)

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Wed Apr 21 10:39:44 EDT 2004

Please stay on the list!

John Ziniti wrote at 2004-4-6 17:25 -0400:

>Dieter Maurer wrote:
>> Maybe, you try it and report back.
>> I have been unable to convince Jeremy that the "clear" is useful.
>> Maybe, your data points can make this issue clearer.

>I do notice large lots of memory usage when I Refresh.  Memory on
>the running Zope seems to be about 388 MB, and it seems to spike
>up to 700-1000 MB when refreshing.

You loose all memory in your cache...

That is what I expect.

>I would be willing to try your patch and report back results to
>the list.

Add "orig_cache.clear()" in the definition of "_resetCache"
in ".../ZODB/Connection.py" (method of class "Connection")
after "orig_cache = self._cache".

> I'm aware that there's no guarantee that this won't brake
>anything.  We do keep good backups aroundm, but can you at least
>let me know if your patch does any voodoo that will make it
>*likely* to brake anything, or can I pretty sure that my ZODB
>will be OK afterwards?

In earlier ZODB versions (that distributed with Zope 2.6.x),
"clear" caused a SIGSEGV. Then, I used "minimize" instead of "clear".

The current ZODB version (that distributed with Zope 2.7)
does not have problems with "cache.clear()". We use it without
problems.

--
Dieter