[Zope] Looking for help on 3 issues

Kapil Thangavelu hazmat at objectrealms.net
Thu Apr 29 14:14:06 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 13:59, Hauan, Michael J wrote:
> Hello!
>
> We have funding to develop a site in support of the local community of
> peoplewith disabilities and are using Zope/CMF/Plone.  Among the many
> issues involved in getting a site developed, we have found little in
> online searches about the following three and would greatly appreciate
> any advice or assistance on them:
>
> 1) user session tracking -- we want to study how users use the site,
> what pages they visit, how much content they contribute, how long
> these various activities take, etc.  Is it possible to do this in Zope
> alone or must I wrap Zope in Apache and rely on Apache's log files
> (which won't give me *all* the info I need).

sounds like you want some custom clickstream analysis, most of this is
possible imo via apache log files if you turn on some of the extra
logging features apache has. if you prefer something relational, adding
some code to the page templates to insert database records for each user
visit is another option, though it requires either using a commercial
app or a custom one to interpret the results.

> 2) reducing viral load -- Zope/CMF/Plone has rich facilities for
> user's to upload content.  Is there any Zope product or methods to
> scan uploads for viruses and/or search for them were they to arrive in
> order to ensure our site does not become a virus propagator?

an external method that uses one of the common spam antiviral processors
would work fine, like clamAV.

> 3) ensuring user privacy -- our project wants to provide users the
> ability to securely store private and potentially sensitive
> information.  Is there a type of folder object that accomplishes
> this?  We imagine the contents of this folder being visible only to
> the authenticated user and no one else, including the site
> administrator or manager.

customizing the workflow and removing privileges from other users and
relying on a local role for the user to access the content should work
fine.

cheers,

-kapil