[Zope] Looking for help on 3 issues

Ausum Studio ausum_studio at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 30 03:47:39 EDT 2004

Message>---- Original Message -----
>From: Hauan, Michael J

>Hello!

>We have funding to develop a site in support of the local community
>of peoplewith disabilities and are using Zope/CMF/Plone.  Among
>the many issues involved in getting a site developed, we have found little
>in online searches about the following three and would greatly
>appreciate any advice or assistance on them:
>
>1) user session tracking -- we want to study how users use the site,
>what pages they visit, how much content they contribute, how long
>these various activities take, etc.  Is it possible to do this in Zope
>alone or must I wrap Zope in Apache and rely on Apache's log files
>(which won't give me *all* the info I need).

Yes, you can do this in Zope, although chances are that you will end up
using a relational database as a live backend for that data.

>2) reducing viral load -- Zope/CMF/Plone has rich facilities for user's
>to upload content.  Is there any Zope product or methods to scan
>uploads for viruses and/or search for them were they to arrive in order
>to ensure our site does not become a virus propagator?

Not that I know, but you should be able to do something about it using the
popen and popen2 python modules, whether you own an antivirus that supports
command lines.

>3) ensuring user privacy -- our project wants to provide users the
>ability to securely store private and potentially sensitive information.
>Is there a type of folder object that accomplishes this?  We imagine
>the contents of this folder being visible only to the authenticated user
>and no one else, including the site administrator or manager.

Of course. Zope has a built-in  atom-level security machinery. It's not that
easy to manage but at least it's quite comprehensible.

Zope maillist  -  Zope at zope.org
(Related lists -