[Zope] IOError one first running zope

Steph Smith stephanie at thinkers.org
Thu Aug 12 18:40:09 EDT 2004

I have a fresh install of Zope 2.6.4, installed from the Gentoo
ebuild. I ran "zope-config -zpasswd", and then started my instance
from the script provided in /etc/init.d (all default Gentoo). Now,
when I go to http://localhost:8080 I get the following message:

Error Type: IOError
Error Value: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'//usr/share/zope//zope-2.6.4-r1/lib/python/App/dt
ml/zope_quick_start.dtml'

The page then offers the following troubleshooting advice, none of
which seems to be actually helpful in this case (although I could be
missing something!)

    *  The URL may be incorrect.
    * The parameters passed to this resource may be incorrect.
    * A resource that this resource relies on may be encountering an
error.

I've checked

/usr/share/zope//zope-2.6.4-r1/lib/python/App/dtml/zope_quick_start.dtml

and made sure that the user running zope (in this case 'root') has
explicit permissions to the file, which it does. I've checked the logs
for this instance of zope, and there are no errors reported. I'm sure
the problem is something embarrassingly easy, however I can't think of
what else to check. I notice that the path mentioned begins with '//',
although I can't imagine that that would be the problem (its odd, but
still valid).

I've also been searching google for more information on this problem,
however the only hit I found which seemed to possibly be the same
problem was in Japanese :(

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or advise they might be
willing to share.

TIA,

Steph