[Zope] IOError one first running zope

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Aug 13 04:44:49 EDT 2004

Steph Smith wrote:
> Error Type: IOError
> Error Value: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
> '//usr/share/zope//zope-2.6.4-r1/lib/python/App/dt
> ml/zope_quick_start.dtml'

Looks like the gentoo thing doesn't set the right ownership on the files
it installs :-(

All the Zope source files need to be readable by the user that Zope runs
as. You should probably take this up with the person maintaining the
gentoo package, and use Zope source installation in the meantime.

In any case, source installs generally tend to be better anyway ;-)

> and made sure that the user running zope (in this case 'root') has
> explicit permissions to the file, which it does.

Zope REALLY shouldn't run as Zope. I suspect that what it means is that
the "nobody" user isn't allowed to rea that file..

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk