[Zope] Re: Advice on upgrade?

hpinson at indepthl.com hpinson at indepthl.com
Fri Aug 20 15:52:41 EDT 2004

Ugh. Upgrade is always so confusing. I'd write this up if I knew how to do this consistantly.

I have Zope 2.7 and python 2.3 running fine on Fedora Core 1 Linux installed in:

/var/zope and /var/zope-instance

With plans to upgrade, I downloaded Zope-2.7.2-0.tgz and expanded the
file.

./configure --prefix=/var/zope272 --with-python=/usr/bin/python2.3
make
make install

Then it asks me the directory where I want my zope instance.

Do I use my old zope instance, or create a new one?

I choose to create a new one in:

/var/zope272-instance

Setting up the admin user and password.

Then, making sure the old Zope is shut down, I got to:

cd /var/zope272-instance/var

There is no Data.fs

Thinking this might be a problem, I try to start the new zope

cd /var/zope272-instance/bin
./zopectl start

And zope does not start...

So I copy my old zope.conf into /var/zope272-instance/etc and copy my old Data.fs into /var/zope272-instance/var

And attempt to start the new zope, which starts.

However, looking at the ZMI control panel for version information only reveals:

Zope Version  (unreleased version, python 2.3.3, linux2)

I ps -ef to look at the Zope process and see this:

root      1329     1  0 15:06 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/python2.3 /var/zope272/lib/python/zdaemon/zdrun.py -S /var/zope272/lib/python/Zope/Startup/zopeschema
zope      1330  1329 95 15:06 ?        00:00:05 /usr/bin/python2.3 /var/zope/lib/python/Zope/Startup/run.py -C /var/zope-instance/etc/zope.conf

I.E. both the old and the new Zopes seem to be in use, and despite createing a new instance, Zope is using the old instance.

So I'm pretty confused here.  Can anyone explain where I went wrong?

Maybe upgrade instructions should be made a part of the zope book? Upgrading is an ongoing problem, at least for me, because I never really know how to do it right.

Harlow Pinson
Indepth Learning
Email: hpinson at indepthl.com
Web: http://www.indepthl.com