[Zope] Re: MySQL thread connection question

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Sat Aug 21 03:29:31 EDT 2004

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Not true: Zope manages free connections in a stack and opens a new one
> only when the stack is empty.

While I can believe that's the intent, the code is far from clear ;-)

>>...but this may also be the case, I'm happy to accept clarification in
>>the form of line numbers in source files that do this work ;-)
>
> "ZODB.DB.DB.open" and "ZODB.DB.DB._closeConnection".
>
> I cannot give you line numbers because my ZODB code is heavily
> changed.

I now see why Jim says the version code complicates ZODB more than is
needed ;-) As I said, I can believe the intent is that, but there's so
much room for optionality that I'm not convinced that's what actually
happens...

> Because it is not easy to implement a reliable connection pool
> (I explained this in a previous message) ;-)

Getting lots of visibility on this would surely help it get better much
more quickly.

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk