[Zope] Howto Developement Environment?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Sat Aug 21 12:08:12 EDT 2004

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 02:48:28PM +0200, Jerome R. Westrick wrote:
> Hello Zopistas...
>
> Please excuse the repost if it happens...
> sent question yesterday, and it did not make it to list..
>
> Anyway, I have a productive zope application, one server.
> I have a backup (considering to use it as developement) machine,
> that I want to keep up-to-date.
>
> Before I go do something stupid,
> what is the listers expiriences developement/productin environments?
> How do you all do this?
> what procedures do you use?

We have a prod server and a dev server.

Through-the-web code is moved from dev to prod with ZSyncer
(zsyncer.sf.net).  This is convenient and easy but it's no substitute for
a proper source management system.

More and more of our through-the-web code is being moved to the filesystem.
e.g. CMF skins are easy, just make a filesystem directory view,
grab the source of the through-the-web code via ftp or webdav and
put it in the FSDV.

You might read this article by Chris McDonough which suggests
some possible best practices:
http://plope.com/Members/chrism/zope_collab

> Jerry
> P.S.  I already got burned by the zope versioning system once,
> so I would like to avoid it.

Me too :-)

--

Paul Winkler