[Zope] Re: Simple DTML question: SOLVED

Bill Campbell bill at celestial.net
Fri Aug 27 18:47:09 EDT 2004

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004, Josef Meile wrote:
>--- In zope at yahoogroups.com, hpinson at i... wrote:
>> Thanks all-- with some fiddling got it working, based on your
>> suggestions. ZPT is better for this!  DTML-IF is a bit
>> conterintuitive here.
>Good that it works for you. By the way, which version of the book are
>you reading? I guess the one on the zope.org site. I recommend you to
>read the one on:
>
>www.plope.com
>
>which has all the examples updated to zpt ;-)
>
>I see allways that the people here suggest to use zpt, but the book on
>zope.org still uses dtml. Why don't the zope.org webmasters put a link
>to the new book there? It will save work to the newies trying to migrate
>from dtml to zpt.

I consider myself a python/zope/plone newbie, having read the zope book,
the ``Book of Zope'', the new definitive guide to plone, and about three
different python books.  I've written a few forms, script(python) methods,
and some ZSQL.  It seems to me that the page templates are much more
flexible than dtml, primarily because of the METAL macro capabilities.

The Zope Book doesn't seem to have any strong recommendations, pointing out
only that ZPTs are compatible with common HTML editors (which doesn't
bother me as I do all my editing in vi).  The Book of Zope doesn't address
page templates at all, only DTML, and I consider it basically a waste of
money and time.  The new Plone book is almost exclusively templates, and it
seems to me that the only use of DTML in plone would be for simple dtml-
methods which might be called from page templates as the whole Plone look
and feel is tied heavily into the master templates which expect templates
to fill in the METAL slots.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``I have no reason to suppose that he, who would take away my Liberty, would
not when he had me in his Power, take away everything else.''  John Locke