[Zope] ZServer/ZPublisher proxying, or move to "full zope"; need consultant

Royce mroyce at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 22:18:10 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I'm trying to get ZServer to serve a ZPublisher webapp. Previosly we
used PCGI directly with apache (evolved from bobo days). Would like to
move pieces into "full zope" land over time but have immediate need to
get off the PCGI/apache solution as it has been hard to get/keep
running on different Linux platforms. I have gotten it mostly running
under ZServer fairly easily but resulted in a problem (#2) mentioned
below.

1. Our website has html and img content (as well as dtml), which I
understand ZServer won't serve. This seems to push me into either (a)
apache proxying so that apache can serve html/imgs (results in problem
#2 below), or (b) running full Zope via another URL path (having two
zhttp_handler's in z2.py), and serving html/imgs from there (requiring
me to change all refs to 'em). Suggestions?

2. Can SiteAccess fix the apache proxy BaseLocation URL problem for a
ZPublisher/ZServer web app? I read the page
(http://zope.org/Members/anser/apache_zserver) about using Evan
Simpson's SiteAccess to fix the BaseLocation problem but it requires
"full zope" and I'm running a ZPublisher webapp through ZServer. Any
way to use this to hardwire a fix in ZServer?

3. Is there any way to pull a ZPublisher app into "full Zope"
wholecloth as one big external method? I remember Amos mentioning this
as possibility a while back. If not, would appreciate any pointers to
docs or descriptions of how much work it is to bring it in a piece at
a time. I have tried this route a little bit, but got pretty swamped
in "import hell."

4. I would like to find a zope consultant to help us with problems
like this on an hourly pay basis for a community website we run.
Person should have several years zope-related programming experience,
including experience with ZServer/ZPublisher. Please email me at
mroyce AT gmail DOT com with a summary of your experience,
availability, and hourly rate. Please put "Zope consultant" in message
subject.

Thanks!
Royce