[Zope] Connecting to a MaxDB Database via ODBC (porting old C++ application to Zope)

Hermann Himmelbauer dusty at qwer.tk
Sun Dec 5 05:48:12 EST 2004

Hi,
I am developing a Zope web application which relies on an existing Database
(MaxDB, formerly SAPDB) Client written in C++. This client accessed my
database via ODBC (on UNIX).

My web application should on one hand access the database directly via a Zope
Database Adapter and on the other hand use functions from this C++ Client
which also accesses the database. (Some functions of this C++ Client are
compiled as a library which can then be called from Zope).

What I now need is a way to access my Database over one Database connection.

What I am thinking of is to use some Zope Database Adapter that uses ODBC, and
give the database handle to my C++ functions.

My problem is: How would I get the ODBC Database handle from the Zope Database
Adapter object? Is this easy to do? Will I run into problems by doing this?

Moreover I don't know if there's a ODBC Database adapter available which is
compatible to Zope and to MaxDB. There is a MaxDB Zope DA available but this
does not rely on ODBC. Then there is this commercial mxODBC available but I
don't know if it supports MaxDB.

Can you give my some hints?

Best Regards,
Hermann

x1 at aon.at
GPG key ID: 299893C7 (on keyservers)
FP: 0124 2584 8809 EF2A DBF9  4902 64B4 D16B 2998 93C7