[Zope] Newbie: TAL Conditions

Tom_Rectenwald at carmax.com Tom_Rectenwald at carmax.com
Tue Dec 7 09:21:01 EST 2004

Hello all,

I am a newbie at Zope, slowly traversing the learning curve.  I am
focusing on TAL currently, and am quite a bit confused with the
tal:condition syntax.  I have a Z SQL Method that selects all records from
a table in a PostgreSQL database.  This method is called "getTransfers". I
then have a Page Template called "displayTransfers" that displays the
results as tabular HTML.

This works fine.  However, where there isn't a record (i.e. an empty
string), a <TD> will not be defined so that it leaves ugly gaps in the
table.  To ensure that a '<TD>&nbsp;</TD>' replaces an empty string '' I
added two tal:condition statements.  This works, but is sort of ugly
looking as, in my head, it is the equivalent of two 'if' statements when
it should be an 'if/else'.  The below code works, however is there a
cleaner way to do this?

### START CODE ###

        tal:content="structure transfer/server">server</td>

### END CODE ###

I'm from a PHP/Perl/mySQL/postgreSQL background and am new to OOP, Python
and Zope so I greatly appreciate any assistance with this.

Regards,
Tom