[Zope] Re: troubleshooting instance that won't serve pages

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Thu Dec 16 00:51:39 EST 2004

Catherine Devlin wrote:
> Hi!  I need suggestions in troubleshooting one of my Zope instances.
> It acts like it's starting fine, whether I start it from the command
> prompt ("ZServer HTTP server started... Port: 8080") or as a Windows
> service.  But trying to access any page that it should serve only
> gives "The page is currently unavailable".
>
> I need some information on what is going wrong, but the places I've
> checked aren't helping.
>
> Things I have checked:
> - The URL is correct, and using the hard-coded IP address doesn't help.
> - The port number I'm trying to get to (8080) is the same one Zope
> reports when it starts.
> - Firefox and Internet Explorer fail equally.
> - A process is listed in the Windows Task Manager.  It appears when I
> start Zope and disappears when I stop it.
> - The Windows Event Viewer shows no events related to Zope.
> - I set the logger level in /etc/zope.conf to ALL for <eventlog>,
> <logger access>, and <logger trace>, and restart the instance, yet the
> final entry in /log/event.log is simply "2004-12-15T15:12:35 INFO(0)
> Zope Ready to handle requests".  /log/Z2.log and /log/trace.log show
> nothing.
> - Running "netstat" shows nothing claiming port 8080 - which might
> explain why the page won't come up - yet it doesn't tell me why!
> - Of course, I can't access the through-the-webpage Zope log...
>
> I am out of troubleshooting ideas!  I don't know where else I can
> look.  Is there anyplace else I can look for a hint of what's
> happening?

What version of Zope (I am assuming Zope 2.7.x)?

Can you share the contents of the <http_server> section of your
zope.conf file?

Can you connect to it at 'http://localhost:8080/' from the box where it
is running?  We've had at least one bug where having just the port
number in the config file resulted in different behavior on Linux vs.
Windows:  on the Linux machine, Zope bound to the port on *all*
interfaces, while on Windows, it bound only to one interface (localhost,
I think).

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com