[Zope] Catatonic Zope Server

Malcolm Cleaton malcolm at jamkit.com
Fri Dec 17 06:30:35 EST 2004

I'm having some trouble with a Zope server becoming unresponsive.

The server runs quite a busy site, and sometimes has memory problems. We
have been restarting zeo, and then zope, every few hours (with some five
minutes difference inbetween).

Recently, the disk containing Data.fs became full, and we had some strange
conflict errors, where the error message appeared to suggest that our
transaction had caused a conflict because it had started many hours ago,
which of course it hadn't.

We truncated the Data.fs some and the problems went away. A few days
later, we had a new problem. Right after flipping cache files, Zope began
to log a flood of errors such as:

(our cache file).zec invalidate: oid mismatch: expected 0x0edcd6 read
'(data)'

The data looked like object pickles, including strings from our
application.

We deleted all the cache files, and deleted the Data.fs.index, and
restarted. We haven't seen any obvious data errors since.

That may be related to the current issue, or it may be a red herring. But
now, the server has gone into a catatonic state just after a restart, at
least twice. In this state, nothing appears in the Z2 or event logs, and
requests for pages appear to mostly time out (although apache, for
whatever reason, served up empty responses with a 200 ok code for some
Zope requests during this time).

The server sits in this dead state until it is restarted. The last time it
happened, it would not restart correctly until zeo had also been restarted.

I'm baffled. Can anybody shed any light on what may be happening?

Thanks,
Malcolm

--

    [] j a m k i t