[Zope] PHP vs. Zope/Plone? Which better overall and for what?

Bakhtiar A Hamid bakhtiar.ahamid at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 06:17:23 EST 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:40:11 -0800, seberino at spawar.navy.mil
<seberino at spawar.navy.mil> wrote:
> I don't know much about web stuff.
>
> I can see amazing power in Zope and thought PHP was just
> for quick and easy little projects.
>
> However, I keep hearing about more and more big beefy
> web projects and companies using PHP.
>
> Without starting a flame war, is there a chance in future
> the power AND ease of PHP may win out over Zope?  Does
> Zope's architecture have some killer features that PHP
> can never copy?

this *is* the zope list afterall.. :)

> It seems Zope's steep learning curve is a showstopper for some.

it was, in the late 90s.  i first stumbled upon zope-1.x, and tried to
grok it.  no go.

then, i tripped on zope again in 99, zope-2.0.x, and started to get
what zope is and how to use it.

then, there were not much documentation, compared to what we have now.
 now we have zopelabs.com, the zopebook (both at zope.org and
plope.org), zopewiki.org, and many many more

but once you got the zen of zope, it's better than orgasm (or one
might think ;))

and zeo seals everything for me :))

well, probably replication.. that's doable now (with dirstorage) but
... holiday wish list?

my thoughts?  hang in there, and you *will* get that ..
"hey, so that's how it goes/works/etc .."

http://myzope.kedai.com.my - my-zope.org