[Zope] Categorised listings/access levels

Phillip Hutchings sitharus at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 15:53:17 EST 2004

> I would use ZCatalog and create a catalog index for each field that you want
> to sort on or search on.
>
> You can create routines (eg. dtml methods/python scripts) for the various
> access activities (ie. one routine which is only used for 'viewing', another
> routine which is used for 'updating') and then assign these routines a
> security access level via Proxy Roles,  then set the corresponding security
> level requirements on the ZCatalog and folder(s) where you will be storing
> the actual objects).

Yes, that makes sense. The main problem I'm having is that this would
need to be set up as a Product - There'll be several of the items set
up, and I'd like to create new ones with a minimum of fuss.

I'd need to create a ZCatalog programatically - fairly easy really,
but I'd need to protect the contents somehow, I guess revoking the
appropriate role would do it.

So, I guess there's a new question - if I create a product that
subclasses ObjectManger, what access does it have to its subobjects?
Would it always have Owner access? Or would it inherit the permissions
of the user viewing it? The latter I guess.
--
Phillip Hutchings
http://www.sitharus.com/
sitharus at gmail.com / sitharus at sitharus.com