[Zope] Web pages as Object Classes

Paolo Losi paolo at hypersonic.it
Mon Feb 2 05:17:00 EST 2004

Hi all,
	here you have another newbie :-)

I'm studying Zope and looking for a clever way
to use all its power.

I've been using recently the quixote application server
and using that framework I've been able to structure
my sites as a collection of HTML pages classes.

The idea is to have an "abstract" superclass which
defines the basic structure of the page:
- look and feel (via css for example)
- basic container structure (I get a menu on the left,
   a login status on the right top...)

A very easy example just to get the idea could be:

class MySitePage():
	def render(self):
		self.header()
		self.menu()
		self.login_status()
		self.content()
		self.footer()

Each method must output HTML and can/must be specialized
in subclasses...

The thing that I appreciate about this approch is
the flexibility you get from inheritance.
I try to go a little bit further that separation
between content and presentation. I try to design
presentation in a OO way...

 From what I've seen PTL is not flexible enough
to implement this approach... am I wrong?
Is it better to look into ZClasses?

Thanks for the help!
	Paolo