[Zope] Persistent references to persistent objects ?!?!

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sun Feb 8 12:53:56 EST 2004

Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca wrote at 2004-2-7 20:34 -0500:
>Once again, thanks for the good points.  Obviously one wouldn't want to
>create a catalog index on an attribute that just stored references ...
>that'd be kind of silly, and I'm sure I'd know better :) Security is pretty
>obviously a concern.  As for acquisition, I guess the traversal would happen
>from the actual object's (Being referenced) point in the tree

In Zope2, there is no "actual point in the tree".
The object has no notion where it is in the tree.
All aspects with respect to "location inside the tree" are
implemented by context wrappers and determined dynamically on
access.

That said: there is no distinction whatsoever between a primary reference
to an object and secondary references. All references behave identically.
Especially, the same object may have different URLs, dependent
on how it is accessed.

>, not the
>reference ?

As Zope2 cannot distinquish between a primary reference
and a secondary reference and as the object has no notion
of "its location", acquisition works with the reference you
are currently using (provided the dereferencing process
performs automatic acquisition wrapping).

--
Dieter