[Zope] Zsyncer

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Sun Feb 15 16:17:08 EST 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 02:17:28PM -0500, Brian Sullivan wrote:
> I am attempting to find a solution to my problem -- synchronizing a Zope
> production server to a Zope development server at controlled intervals. I
> have been doing it by hand but the process has just gotten too unwieldy.
>
> Zsyncer seems like a product that does this.

in general yes...

> I am however having a problem trying to determine if it supports this
> scenario:
>
> 1) Development server is web based
> 2) Production server is intranet based
>

> What I want to do is from the intranet trigger the synchronization. The
> problem I seem to be running into in playing with it is that it seems is the
> server that you are synching from(in the internet cloud in my case) needs to
> have tcp/ip access to the server that it is synching

Yes. The source server must be able to make a connection to the
target server.
ZSyncer only does "push", not "pull".  i.e. you can "upload"
changes from one zope to another, but you cannot "download."

> (not true in my case --
> and I can't make this possible). The server in question though does have
> outgoing access to the internet.
>
> Is my assumption/interpretation of the Zsyncer process correct? Is there a
> strategy that will allow me to what I want to do?

If I understand you correctly, you would need to modify zsyncer to be
able to "pull" instead of (or in addition to) "push".
This is certainly possible, and it is not rocket science - zsyncer
source code is pretty small - you could do it yourself, and I'd be
happy to answer questions if you try, but otherwise I'm unlikely to
add this feature anytime soon. I have too much else to do, and
other issues with zsyncer that are a higher priority for my own work.

> A secondary issue -- I want also to be able to synch security settings/roles
> -- does Zsyncer help me here?

Depends what you need. ZSyncer currently only transfers whole objects
- e.g. if you sync an Image, you get its binary image data as well
as its security settings and properties.  You cannot sync these
aspects individually, it's all or nothing.
This might change in the future - I would love to be able to sync
e.g. security settings on a folder without transferring the contents
of the folder. But it would be quite a bit of work.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com