[Zope] Mount OS Directory as Zope DB

J Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Tue Feb 17 17:08:22 EST 2004

James Cammarata wrote:

> Hi all.  Is there a way to mount an OS directory (*nix/Windows) as a
> Zope database?  I've done lots of Googling for an answer, but no
> results yet so I thought I'd ask here.
>
> We use Zope on Mandrake Linux at my company and a lot of our
> developers prefer to use Vi to edit files, and absolutely hate using
> the web interface to edit files (debugging hell).  WebDAV is not
> totally out of the question, but we all think it would be cool if you
> could mount a directory as a Zope DB.
>
> Anyway, if there is no current way to do this, I'm considering writing
> it myself.   Let me know what you all think.

Depending on what you're doing, you may want to look at APE or LocalFS
or FileSystemSite. LocalFS is mostly for content, FSS (and, similarly,
CMF skins) is mostly for templates and scripts, and APE is for
everything. LocalFS and FSS make filesystem stuff available in Zope's
object tree. APE stores the objects on the filesystem. (There's a real
difference, but they're very much equivalent.) APE is probably the most
difficult to set up.

There are some other options that mostly deal with individual files
(ExtFile, External File) or with storing the ZODB in non-editable format
(DirectoryStorage).

But I find that most of your real work should probably be done in
filesystem-side products anyway, and anything that's ZODB-resident is
really glue and shouldn't be complex enough that editing in a text box
is a serious hindrance.

          --jcc

--
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you."