Fwd: [Zope] Server Spontaneously Quitting

Patrick Kirk patrick at kirks.net
Sun Feb 29 17:46:57 EST 2004

OK.  I'd be grateful if others on the list would read this as well to
provide a sanity check.

Step 1: Put a Virtual Host Monster in your Zope root folder.  Give it a
unique id but it really doesn't matter what you call it.

Step 2: Let us assume you have a site called http://www.buystuff.com
served from a folder called "buystuff" in your root directory and a site
called http://www.mycause.org is served from "mycause" folder.  Lets
also assume your IP is 111.111.111.111 and Zope is on port 8081 with
Apache on port 80.

Step 3: The virtual hosts section for www.buystuff.com will read:
<VirtualHost *:80>
     ServerAdmin you at you.com
     DocumentRoot /this/does/not/matter
     ServerName www.buystuff.com
     ErrorLog logs/www.buystuff.com-error_log
     CustomLog logs/www.buystuff.com-access_log common
     RewriteEngine on
     RewriteRule ^/(.*)
http://111.111.111.111:8081/VirtualHostBase/http/www.buystuff.com:80/buystuff/VirtualHostRoot/$1
[NC,L,P]

</VirtualHost>

Step 4: The virtual hosts section for www.mycause.org will read:
<VirtualHost *:80>
     ServerAdmin you at you.com
     DocumentRoot /this/does/not/matter
     ServerName www.mycause.org
     ErrorLog logs/www.mycause.org-error_log
     CustomLog logs/www.mycause.org-access_log common
     RewriteEngine on
     RewriteRule ^/(.*)
http://111.111.111.111:8081/VirtualHostBase/http/www.mycause.org:80/mycause/VirtualHostRoot/$1
[NC,L,P]

</VirtualHost>

Apart from the [NC,L,P] this is from the virtual host monster
documentation.  And others on this list gave me them!

Step 5: Run the command "apachectl configtest" and it will tell you if
there are any syntax errors without requiring you to restart apache and
find out the hard way you've put a comma in the wrong place.

Step 6: Run "apachectl restart" and your sites should now be served from
Zope through Apache.  And the beauty of it is that it just works.

If you have any problems, let us know.

Best regards,

Patrick Kirk
Mobile: 07876 560 646