[Zope] How to have Apache rewrite to multiple Zopes?

Rob Boyd boydrobh at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 18:03:48 EST 2004

Yet another Apache redirect question

Is there a way to have one Apache server redirect SSL
requests to different Zope instances without requiring
separate IP addresses for each instance?

Background: I have 3 Zope instances running on 3
different ports, with one ApacheSSL. I have a
VirtualHostMonster for each Zope. Inside one
VirtualHost of *:443, I tried the following Rewrite
Rules:
^/my_name(.*)
http://localhost:9090/VirtualHostBase/https/hostname:443/VirtualHostR
oot/$1 [P,L]

^/(.*)
http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/https/hostname:443/VirtualHostRoot/$
1 [P,L]

(substituting real values for my_name and hostname, of
course). My (ill-informed?) idea was to catch requests
of https://hostname/my_name to go to the Zope on 9090,
and requests of https://hostname to go to Zope 8080.

It actually works to serve content, but when
attempting to do any management URLS, it is removing
the my_name from the URL and redirecting to the Zope
8080 site. I can get to manage_main of the correct
site, but beyond that it breaks. Any fixes, or must I
resort to getting extra IP addresses and creating a
separate IP-based VirtualHost for each Zope instance?

TIA,
Rob Boyd