[Zope] Scrolling Tables

Tim Zegir trzegir at ncable.net.au
Wed Jan 7 17:33:13 EST 2004

So you have content you wish to scroll.
It is in a table.
The problem you are having is that when you set up the scroller it
scrolls the whole table.

Sorry if some one has pointed this out already, but why can't you just
create your base table with you heading etc and in the field you want to
scroll content create another table (border="0" :) ) and scroll that???

Eg.
						Your scrolling content
goes hear

Anyway hope I have been some help :-)

-tim zegir

Of
> Dylan Reinhardt
> Sent: Thursday, 8 January 2004 6:00 AM
> To: Goldthwaite, Joe
> Cc: Zope Users
> Subject: RE: [Zope] Scrolling Tables
>
> On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 10:28, Goldthwaite, Joe wrote:
> > Dylan Reinhardt wrote:
> > >You could hack this together using DHTML/JavaScript with frames.
> >
> > >Use JavaScript to measure the columns as rendered and squeeze a
> > matching
> > >header into a frame just above the table.  Won't be trivial, but it
> > >should definitely be possible.
> >
> > This is probably the best suggestion but it's beyond my current
> > abilities.  I didn't know that JavaScript could read the column
> > headings.  Does Jython allow you to do this kind of scripting using
> > Python instead of Java?  I'd rather not go back to a second
language.

> JavaScript is a client-side browser scripting language that is not
> related to Java.  Programming in JavaScript is a bit like jogging in
> deep snow -- you can usually get where you're going, but it sucks.
>
> Unfortunately, there aren't any good alternatives when it comes to
> client-side scripting.  And this will need to be client-side if you're
> going to account for client-side settings such as screen size.
>
> JavaScript can dynamically obtain (and change) the sizes, position,
and
> other properties of just about any element that supports an id
> attribute.  Measuring, sizing and drawing elements generally works
well,
> but is inevitably a bigger hassle than it seems like it should be.
>
> > I'll explore Dylan's suggestion but the complexity means I'll have
> > save it for later.  It feels like I'm reinventing the wheel here.
This