[Zope] Multiple threads using Apache Rewrite

jim at jaydublu.com jim at jaydublu.com
Thu Jan 8 08:59:29 EST 2004

We have a machine (FreeBSD) set up running Apache to dish up 'normal'
websites on port 80, and we have been developing a couple of Zope based
Intranet type sites, so we have ZServer running on its default port of
8080.

We're using Apache mod-rewrite to transaprently proxy Zope request to
the ZServer. All is sweet.

That is until a request that ties ZServer up for a period of time is
closely followed by a second request - the result from Apache is a
'proxy error' - i.e. there was no server visible to respond to the
second proxy request.

Running ps -aux only ever shows two Zope processes, no matter how hard
one is working. Isn't there supposed to be a monitor process running
which forks new processes when existing ones get busy, like Apache
does?

Both Apache and Zope were installed from FreeBSD Ports using default
startup scripts.

Advice gratefully received.

Jim Whiteside.