[Zope] Navigation menu

Michael Havard nhavar at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 8 17:44:38 EST 2004

Thanks for the prompt response. Unfortunately I don't think that will work.

I think the problem is that the code I've seen essentially just counts how
far down a tree an item is (link depth) and the spits out either a
text-indent or a number of cells based on the link depth. That means that
the code has no concept of there being a relationship between the current
item it's calculating link depth for and the previous parent element.

For instance in your code I see a parent entry like

Collections & Resources
    with a child of:
       Archives & Special Collections
           with a child of:
               Aids History Project

I can SEE that hierarchy only because of the visual formatting method used:

ROW
   Collections & Resources

ROW
   Table CELL - Archives & Special Collections

ROW
   Table CELL - Table CELL - Aids History Project

In that HTML structure there's nothing to logically tell me that any of the
elements relate to each other in any way. According to the DOM the elements
are not siblings or anything relatively meaningful.

I need code that actually produces and structured HTML heirarchy not just
the appearance of one.

again something like

<ul>
     <li>Item
          <ul>
                <li>Child Item</li>
          </ul>
     </li>
</ul>

Where the child node is actually nested into parent node structure.