[Zope] Re: ANNOUNCE: Zope 2.6.3 Release and Security Update

Dennis Allison allison at sumeru.stanford.EDU
Thu Jan 8 23:28:09 EST 2004

Tried to do the former, but Python 2.3.1 would not build on RH9 with
significant brain surgery.  Updated RH9 to the bleeding edge and got
things mostly working except for some subsystems adn supporting systems
which use threading and would not work under the new threading model
without significant rework.  Hence the decision to revert to RH7.3.
Eventually we plan to move to a Gentoo system--I've been experimenting
with Gentoo and have found it to be fairly easy to construct a customized,
fast, and clean system although the time-to-build can be daunting.  After
some more testing I plan to move to Gentoo for production, a move
motivated by the bad experience I've had with RH9 and RedHat's new
business focus on the enterprise.

One point of information, Tres.  Was your positive experience over a range
of machines.  We've pretty much standardized on dual processor Athlon
machines, 4GB memories, and hardware raid controllers in a RAID-10
configuration.  It's possible that our problems with RH9 may be tied
to some problem with their Athlon SMP systems.

Thanks for your comments and advise.