[Zope] Re: Zope on cygwin incredibly slow?

Josef Meile jmeile at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 19 15:17:53 EST 2004

> Hi ya,
>
> has anyone cure for Zope running increbli slow on WinXP and cygwin? It
> seems that every single request takes many seconds before anything is
> returned to the browser. On the same hardware Zope runs atleast 10 times
> faster while booted on linux and a little bit faster if I am running
> Zope's windows-binaries.
What's about this:
http://www.mingw.org/index.shtml

it is a minimal version of unix. It has also a gnu c compiler and it is
easier to
install than cygwin. I don't know if it has some restriction, but you could
give
it a try. I have already compiled a package with it (SWIG to be more
specific)
and it worked as expected. Perhaps you could try to compile zope on it and
try to run it from its minimal shell.

Ah, and short time ago, somebody on the list already mentioned psyco
(http://psyco.sourceforge.net/) to speed up the excecution of python code.
Perhaps you could also take a look at it. Here is how to integrate it to
zope:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.plone.user/6468/match=psyco

According to that article, it seems to work; however, I will bet that it was
tested on a linux system and not under cygwin. (The author neither specify
the system nor the zope version).

Regards,
Josef