[Zope] importing pdflib_py

Blossom Merz blossommerz at pobox.com
Thu Jan 22 12:41:39 EST 2004

Hey, there!

I'm not really a newbie, but I seem to have gotten in over my head
by trying to import pdflib_py to generate pdf files from inside a
script. ( http://www.pdflib.com )

Here is the situation: my Zope site is hosted by an ISP who does not
allow shell access. This makes developing external methods
impossible. They are willing to install custom Products and such
after reviewing the code.

We've gotten as far as compiling and installing the pdflib_py.so so
that Zope's python interpreter can access it. We've set up the
allow_access('pdflib_py') stuff, but still get a Zope error:
"from pdflib_py import *" is not allowed.

According to an article from 2001, I now need to create a Product.
(http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-pyzo.html)
The Zope Book and Developer's Guide each go into the creation of
Products.

It feels like I've taken a wrong turn. I don't want a complete
Product with the ability to add it through the ZMI. I just want to
access the functions in a library from a zope script.

Which way do I go next?

Thanks!
Blossom