[Zope] Re: Zope Digest, Vol 6, Issue 37

nwingfield at che-llp.com nwingfield at che-llp.com
Fri Jan 23 15:14:05 EST 2004

Alessio,

We are piloting a very similar system (plain Zope, no Plone).  A few
lessons we learned that you might benefit from:

1.  Use DirectoryStorage for your ZODB.  It is highly stable, scalable,
resilient to corruption, easily backed up, etc, etc.  The secret to its
success is that it uses one file per Zope revision, rather than a single
Data.fs.  If you do so, you might also consider using reiserfs because it
is better with large numbers of files.  And there will be a lot!  (I
believe this only applies to Linux.)
2.  Do not store binaries in the ZODB.  Your ZODB will grow plenty large
with metadata revisions without shoving files into it, too.  Ours hit 20GB
at one point because I forgot to pack it for a while.  If at all possible,
store the files themselves outside of Zope.
3.  Use BTreeFolders if you can, to speed retrieval.  This may not be an
issue with Plone.
4.  Investigate ZCatalogs thoroughly to make sure they meet your needs.  We
are about to jump ship in favor of a relational database, simply because
ZCatalogs are not as well suited to our purposes.

Nathaniel