[Zope] ZODB limit

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Mon Jan 26 10:22:53 EST 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 10:14:54AM -0500, nwingfield at che-llp.com wrote:
> Are you familiar with iTunes?  If so, you will be quite familiar with what
> I am trying to achieve.  Zope is by nature very hierarchical.  I want to
> get away from the hierarchies to the point where you can navigate documents
> based on their properties only.

hmm. perhaps this is an impedance mismatch then.
don't know.

> Whatever database we use
> will have to be very nimble.

If I were building it in zope, I would probably consider something
like CMF Topic ("canned" catalog queries). I would then test
zcatalog heavily to see how its performance holds up under my
expected load. If it's too slow under load, I would consider
whether it is ok for my application to trade "freshness" of data
for speed - there are few performance problems that can't be solved
by cacheing :-)

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com