[Zope] Beginners questions

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Thu Jan 29 10:17:26 EST 2004

Hi Edward,

Edward Comber schrieb:
> Thanks very much, that was helpful.
>
> I mean as my front end pages - should they be ZPTs preferably?

I'd say so. Also common is the construct of having python scripts
returning one of several ZPTs depending on action and with
prepared values for the template. e.g.

if request.form.get('some_submit_button',''):
     # do something...
     return  context.actionZPT(value1=somecalculatedvalue,
                               value2=someother)

return context.defaultZPT()

With actionZPT in this exaple just using

options/value1, options/value2

(where they in turn can be arbitrary data structures
to ilterate over and whatever)

> WRT Apache - this is an Intranet and I think the simplicity of Zserver will
> be useful and the power of Apache isn't needed.

Sure. Although apache (or pond) add only a little bit complexity
but offer a great bunch of possibilities you can implement/explore
when they are needed. Especially serving a static page when
Zope is unailable for some reason (for example upgrade, restart)
is handy as well as load distribution (to several Zope instances
running with ZEO)
Even an intranet can result in a moderate or heavy load on a
full dynamic website.
Let alone caching of different resources (e.g. Images)
differently.

Regards
Tino Wildenhain