[Zope] Corrupt Data.fs, POSKey Error after fsrecover

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Fri Jan 30 14:12:27 EST 2004

Declan Shanaghy wrote at 2004-1-29 13:40 -0800:
>I just had this exact problem.
>I use Zope 2.6.1
>So i tried other versions of fsrecover on Data.fs
>
>2.6.4rc1
>3.6.3
>2.6.2
>2.6.0
>All result in a POSKeyError like  Dominik Schäfer  is currently
>having

"fsrecover" cannot fix "POSKeyError"s.
In fact, there is no way to fix "POSKeyError"s automatically.

  A "POSKeyError" corresponds to an object reference to
  a non-existing object.
  There is not way to recreate the original object.
  As the storage level does not know anything about the
  application object, it cannot simply remove the stale
  reference (without the risk to introduce other inconsistencies).

  The only way would be to let the stale reference point to
  a fake object that says "I am a representative of a lost
  object".

"fsrecover" can introduce "POSKeyError"s for objects that happen
to be defined in damaged transaction records. Such objects
are lost due to the elimination of the damaged transaction record.

You should *REALLY* make regular backups!
"fsrecover" is a tool that tries to help in a desaster situation.
However, it is far from perfect!
Make backups!

--
Dieter