[Zope] Zope vs. Typo3 dillema

Eugene el-spam at yandex.ru
Thu Jul 8 07:35:58 EDT 2004

Hello Karlo,

Really I cannot compare this 2 systems bacause I don't know Typo3 at
all, and I work with Zope only for half an year.
This winter I have a big question - I had to choose platform for all
my further web development. I found a list on www.cmsinfo.org
then looked briefly on each system, selected 4 of them, installed and look more
precisly. Finally I select Zope.

First: Zope is only a platform for CMS developing, there are some CMS
based on it - the most interesting are Plone and CPS.
I work with Plone. If you choose it I recommend to look at Archetypes
It is Plone extension which gives you extra
rapid and flexible content types management. You only have to define
type in text format, and it create you management form for it, default
presentation template, validators, and indexing. If you redefine type,
for example add new fields, it recreates manage form and default
template. So it's document type management in few minutes.

KL>  - LaTeX support: that is, users can edit documents using LaTeX notation, and
KL> by using some kind of latex2html I want to be able to have mathematical
KL> formulas displayed in web pages
I've never interested in Latex in web, but I think I've seen it
somewhere in Archetypes and Plone.
Look at www.plone.org, www.sf.net/projects/collective/
or ask people.

KL>  - users & groups: something most modern OS-es have (let's say Unix :)). I
KL> want to be able to set permissions and control wich users can edit, view,
KL> print any arbitrary document.
Built-in security.
There are deferent customizable user roles.
Each object has it's permissions for each role.

KL>  - PDF export: since most of the web site will be mathematical, I want to be
KL> able to export parts of the web as PDF documents, so pepole can download
KL> that, in stead of reading the web online.
I don't know - I never used it.
But there's support for MS Office and Open Office documents.

KL>  - content reusing: this is a tough one to explain :), but I'll try. I want
KL> all the data (mathematical theories, theorems, problems and so on) to be in,
KL> let's call it one central repository. Then, when I want to create a part of
KL> the web about linear algebra, i can use the data from that 'central'
KL> repository.
Each document is an object and is stored in one central reposotory - object database.
You may use it as you want.
For example: you may define several document types for theories,
problems and etc, place them in different  places on the site. Next,
each document supports 'Subject' - it is list of topics for all site.
Suppose, you add new theorem and define for it following subjects:
liner algebra, groups theory, complex numbers /it's just for example
:) /. Subjects appear in general list, once you added them for
theorems you may use them anywhere - for problems, theories
and so on. Users can search by these subjects - they just have to
select them from the list.
Any time you want you may build list of last added documents on
any subject or added by any user - just in few lines of code.

I cannot say much about Typo3.
Ask this question in Typo3 mail list.
The next: T3 based on java, Zope bases on python. (www.python.org)
In some aspects they are similar - both are languages of very hugh
level, but there's a lot of differencies.
Choose that you know in the best way.

--
Best regards,
 Eugene                            mailto:el-spam at yandex.ru