[Zope] Production Advice

Einar Næss Jensen einjen at nvg.ntnu.no
Tue Jul 13 04:36:04 EDT 2004

Jonathan Cyr wrote:

> All advice would be helpful as I weigh my options,

Do not try to use a readymade zope from a distibution (I did once, and
still get angry when thinking about it), since it will probably get you
into trouble sooner or later.
Installing from source is easy and quick and you are up and running in
five minutes..

If your hardware is supported by debian-distribution i suggest you use
this. (if using dell server, linux.dell.com is the place to go for a
dell-aware debian boot-image (and it also works on other srver-hardware
as well)

I have had nothing with trouble with redhat (not enterprise-version) and
zope-rpm (maybe yast is different and better?)
since switching to debian and zope-source everything is Ay-ok! (not to
say: it is actually working)

bottom line: use a minimal linux-installation, and use zope-source and
python-source!
this is the advice of a zope newbie!

Best regards
EInar Næss Jensen