[Zope] Are Versions evil?

Mark Barratt markb at textmatters.com
Thu Jul 15 03:25:12 EDT 2004

Peter Sabaini wrote:
> Has anyone had trouble using Versions recently?
>
> Should I advise against using Versions in the Zope Book?

I have had problems with a Version recently in 2.6.2: work in a version,
accept the changes, delete the version - not the end of the story as
Zope believed that one folder was still locked by the version and would
not allow modification of material which had been in the version.

We have also had big problems with versions in the root.

In both cases we had to rely on our Zope guru (thanks, Chris!) to poke
around until the problem cleared. I don't think Chris actually knew what
he did to fix it - certainly restarts etc didn't help.

So a warning might be useful...

--
Mark Barratt
Text Matters

Information design: we help explain things using
language | design | systems | process improvement
phone +44 (0)118 986 8313  email markb at textmatters.com
web http://www.textmatters.com