[Zope] Flash tutorials for newbies to Zope

Michael Ekstrand michael-zope at elehack.net
Fri Jul 16 10:46:58 EDT 2004

On Friday 16 July 2004 01:04, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> Don't lead newbies to something that will *invariably* lead to
> trouble and break their hearts.

Hmm... I'm curious as to the reason behind the extensive sentiments
against ZClasses.  As a relative Zope newbie at the beginning of the
summer, I dove into ZClasses (they were presented in the Zope Book, and
seemed conveient). Granted, they had some oddities I had to learn
about. But with the help of a couple Python base classes, they've
treated me pretty well, and made it relatively easy to build the
administration interface around my product.

It frustrated me that I couldn't have a "standard" Properties sheet with
them (i.e., that allows for addition and deletion of properties), but
an extremely simple base class that does nothing but inherit from
PropertyManager took care of that.

So in short, I've played with them... and my heart isn't broken... and I
haven't seen much trouble yet. Why are they so detested, and what are
the reasons for not developing the concept further? I'm sure there's a
reason - it's just eluding me at this time. Or perhaps I haven't tried
pushing them hard enough to have problems.

-Michael