[Zope] Hi + question

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Fri Jul 16 23:45:53 EDT 2004

--On Freitag, 16. Juli 2004 15:27 Uhr -0700 Steven Hodgen
<shodgen at solomonschool.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm pretty new to Zope (even newer to Zope on Linux) and I'm having a few
> problems getting it installed and running properly.
>
> I've successfully installed and run Zope, but to achieve as a non-root
> user, I must install Zope and an instance in my '~' directory.  This is
> great, but I do need to be able to run Zope at port 80.  As a side note,
> many of the docs on Zope.org treat doing this as a minor issue, and seem
> to promote the idea of running it at 8080.  I'm a little confused by
> this.  I understand that this has some security advantages, but I don't
> understand why anyone would do this under normal circumstances.  I mean,
> no one goes to  www.blah.net:8080
>
> Pardon me if I'm being ignorant, but I would think this would be the
> exception, rather than rule.  Zope.org gives me the impression that 8080
> is (or should be) the rule.

- it is not recommended to install and run Zope as root.
- if you install and run it as zope, you have to adjust the user settings
in etc/zope.conf
- don't run Zope as server on the internet *without* any reverse proxy like
squid or apache

-aj