[Zope] Re: Flash tutorial for ZClasses

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Mon Jul 19 11:28:32 EDT 2004

--On Montag, 19. Juli 2004 15:09 Uhr +0200 Børge Kjeldstad
<borge.kjeldstad at whiteflower.no> wrote:

> Following the discussion on the possible usefulness of a flash tutorial
> for ZClasses, one might conclude that:
>
> "Some people think it is easy to work with ZClasses and some think it is
> not."
>
> This conclusion alone should indicate a need for more or better tutorials
> on ZClasses.

Speaking for the German Zope User Group...no one of us advices newbies
to learn and to use ZClasses. ZClasses are big DON'T USE IT.

> I am sure Dieter is quite right when he says that:
>
> "-- but you are using ZClasses because your Zope programming skills are
> not yet developed enough to implement full blown Zope products."
>
> However, I am not sure that every Zope programmer would have the
> need/desire/ability to become able to develop his/her own Zope products.
>
> For these programmers, ZClasses might be an handy option.

No. You will reach a point where you can't go any further with ZClasses
because they are too limited at some point and too broken. Especially
the brokenness of ZClasses is important to understand. There is currently
no code maintainer for ZClasses, there were no major bugfixes for years.
The implementation is hard to understand and to follow...that's reason
enough not to use ZClasses. They make the newbies unhappy.
ZClasses = Nice concept, broken implemenation. I agree with Dieter that
the bugs could be fixed but there are no volunteers to fix them and I doubt
that there will be any in the future..

-aj